The most common issues are gelled fuel and electrical failure in cold diesel engine heaters. Cold engine-powered machinery and diesel performance must be maintained adequately before being exposed to freezing temperatures.
It is essential to know how to start a cold diesel engine, especially for those who need to travel or work during the cold seasons.
The following are different ways to start your diesel engine in the cold:
- Use glow plugs and block heaters, such as a diesel heater, to keep it running smoothly. Glow plugs operate by heating the internal combustion chamber, allowing proper compression and ignition.
- Since glow plugs require a lot of power from your automobile’s battery to perform correctly, it is essential to ensure that the battery is fully charged or that you have a secondary battery dedicated to the glow plugs.
- If you want to add DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to your machinery, ensure that the temperature is kept above 12 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent it from freezing. Although freezing does not reduce the uptime of your equipment, keeping DEF on hand ensures that it is ready to use when needed.
- Check your fuel filter. When the fuel filter is old and dirty, the fuel might have difficulty pushing through the filter and can be clogged with water. As a result, the water condenses and freezes, and you will have a frozen fuel filter, which means that the fuel won’t get to the engine, and you won’t be able to start it.
- As the engine gets colder, there is more stress on complex internal parts, such as the camshaft and connecting rods. It is essential to warm it up for at least 5-10 minutes and wait until it reaches optimal operating temperature. With just a few minutes of warming, the oil temperature will reach appropriate levels, and the engine will be thoroughly lubricated.
Install a diesel engine heater today!
Pure Diesel Power is a company that specializes in diesel performance, replacement parts, maintenance, and modification at a low cost.
Visit their website www.puredieselpower.com/ or contact them at 1-715-254-1833 for more information and inquiries about jump starters and diesel engines.